Friday, June 3, 2011

Video Game presentation reflections.

When it came to our gaming presentation I think there were a few things we could have done better.  The first of them were gameplay mechanics of the game.  I felt that what we had, while good, was rather bare boned basically, we could have used a bit more detail the character abilities as well as giving a more fleshed out list than what we did.  We could have given a larger list of abilities other than just "swinging from vines...Stealth Mode...Disguise"  and created more detailed descriptions of each that grabbed the interest of the people we were presenting to. 
Anothing that I realized we could have done after the presentation was flesh out a few of the general goals, or at least adjust them.  With the idea that the game was an MMO (Massively Mutiplayer Online) game the way we described the goals seemed to hint at a finality to me while an MMO is basically supposed to never end.  For example we said one of the goals of the pirates was to capture ninja's inslands, but we never said what happened to the island afterwards.  Something that I think would have made the game sound better would be to have ninja's be able to try and recapture the island, thus creating a kind of tug-of-war mechanic to the game.  Something similar could be done with the pirate's ships as well.

Out of the four main points of video games that we were given I would have to say that mechanics is the hardest to show for a few reasons.  Most of the other points, Rules, Goals and Objectives can mainly just be listed to show them and a few words can describe them.  With mechanics, yeah, words can be used, but it is much easier to show how something works sometimes, not just tell how something works; this is how things work for me because I'm a visual learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment