Monday, May 9, 2011

Reimagining Visual Framing

  





Above is a picture by the artist Ben Goossen that I really liked, the one on top is the original, and the one below is one that I zoomed in a bit.  From a creative standpoint I just really love the way picture is set up. There is not very much Visual Intensity in most of the picture, only in the center, or more specifically the sphere. I just like the possibilities for the picture.  Is that sphere just a reflective surface, a kind of portal to that city like area (the fact that in an arch helps that idea) or did Goossens take the image of the city through the arch and compress and shape it into a sphere, I simply love the possibilities.
            Another thing about the picture is How lines are perceived, no matter where you look in the picture the eyes are always drawn back to the sphere in the center.  The arch frames the sphere and the cracks and such in the ground lead straight to the sphere; this is very unlike my zoomed in version where there are very little, if any, lines leading to the sphere and the arch is almost completely out of the picture.  In both of the pictures there is a sense of Space as well, mainly because of the sphere in the center.  Behind the sphere it appears to be a big open space, with shapes in the distance, and the amount of stuff going on up front creates a kind of Contrast with the area in the back and makes it seem farther away. There is also a bit of an Affinity in the picture as well mainly because of most of the picture is rather plain, nothing much is happening, and almost everything except the sphere is made of stone, or some unknown.
            I’m going to say that most likely Goossens framed the picture the way he did to bring the viewer’s eye to the sphere, without having just the sphere in the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment